5. St Michael's Monastery


Back
Main page
Fwd

Bigger picture

This imposing blue building is from 2001. No, it was not raised on a whim. The original monastery existed from 1108 to 1937 when the Soviets tore it down. To the left is the building for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which stands on the site of another church that had to bite the dust in 1934.